Sunday 10 March 2013

Winning the lottery!! Knee Knacker 2013.



Tonight was quite the exciting event: my first foray into entering a lottery. The 2013 Chuckanut 50 lottery did not materialize like I thought it would, but with the Knee Knacker taking only 268 runners out of a possible 360 or so, this meant that the odds of getting in were close to 75% for someone who registered before last Thursday. I had high hopes that both my brother in-law and I would get in. If only one did, then it would either really suck, or be a monumental accomplishment for the one who had to do the race.



The results were released live on Facebook on March 5th, and I don't know what it was, but FB was really slow tonight. My name was not draw through the first 100 called, but I ended up being drawn in position #126. Sean was pulled in the 159th slot. So it looks like July 13th, my parents 39th wedding anniversary, I will be running the 48kms race from Horseshoe Bay to Deep Cove. This run is considered to be one of the top 25 toughest runs in North America. Take that Tough Mudder! I presume this one will take about 6-7 hours to complete, with 8000ft of cumulative elevation gain, and 8300 of descending. Can you say thrashed quads?

Being one of 268 winners in this lottery, I am reminded of that grade 12 short story, The Lottery in which a small town honors the time old tradition of a yearly human sacrifice by stoning. In the story, one of the townsfolks women's, a mother of a small family, name is drawn. To the glee of the townsfolk, they end up stoning her to death in order to carry on the town's disgusting history.

I suppose that this run will be like getting stoned. However, I will be stoning myself as I run up and down and up and down a bunch of mountains. 8000 ft up, 8300 ft down. A total of 16000 feet. The down will be the toughest parts.

Some other notable celebrity entries include: Adam Campbell, Gary Robbins, Mike Murphy, Solana Klassen, Wendy Simms, and Normon Thibault.

I thinks this one will be a great July day in the summer.

4 comments:

  1. Eeep! I'm so excited for you, Josh! The Knee Knacker is my dream run! I'm sure you are going to have an amazing time! How was Chuckanut?? There's a short 5km or 10km race this weekend in North Vancouver April 7th! It's called My First Trail Race- you and Sean should come play!! Hope all is well and congratulations about getting picked for the Knee Knacker! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Shanny!! I am looking forward to the KK, but right now in my sights is the BMO Vancouver. Yes I know, it is all on pavement, and that sucks for us trail runners, but it will be fast and fun. I have to deal with some Achilles Tendonitis that has got a hold of my lower left leg from the Chuckanut 50. It is not fun right now, and is hampering training. I enjoy reading your blog!! Keep it up! All the best!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You won't be disappointed. the Knee Knacker only weeks away...its all I can think about.
    Had the honor of running last year and lightening has struck twice.
    Yesterday on the 3/4 training run I was thinking about all of the aid stations. The volunteers pretty much out number the runners and are incredible. All stations are amazingly equipt and are so encouraging.

    It is a great day, and I guarantee will be your favorite race.


    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank LMGIN! I have been off of running for a couple of weeks, and have been cycling a tonne instead. My fitness is good, but without having run the course before, I am expecting the worst in terms of challenges (see climbing). With that in mind, I feel like I have the mental toughness to finish respectably. The day will be a great one! See you there, I hope!!

    ReplyDelete